Iraq arrests over Hassan killing Print E-mail
Iraq arrests over Hassan killing

Several people have been arrested in connection with the suspected killing of British aid worker Margaret Hassan.
US and Iraqi forces raided a suspected insurgent hideout near Baghdad on Sunday and six people are being detained, Iraqi police said.

The Dublin-born 59-year-old had lived in Iraq for 30 years when she was abducted on 19 October.
A spokesman for the British Embassy confirmed a raid had been carried out and items had been seized.  
"There is reasonable evidence to believe that the items were Ms Hassan's...but until police have finished their investigation we cannot say definitely," he said.    

A video of Ms Hassan's apparent death was released one month after her abduction, but her body has never been recovered.

The aid worker held dual Irish and British citizenship and had lived in Iraq with her Iraqi husband, Tahseen.
She began working for Care International soon after it began operations in Iraq in 1991 and provided humanitarian relief to the most needy Iraqis in a professional career spanning more than 25 years. 
When she was kidnapped, Mrs Hassan had been head of the charity's operations in the country for 12 years.

Iraqi police said Sunday morning's raids happened near the town of Madean, the scene of frequent insurgent violence in recent weeks.
The violence comes as the new Iraqi government led by Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari is struggling to fill seven vacant government positions.
And on Sunday five policemen and four civilians were killed when about 30 gunmen raided a checkpoint on a main road leading south out of Baghdad.

Later, a car bomb exploded near a US convoy in the Zafaraniya area, killing four Iraqi civilians and wounding 12.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/4503347.stm

Published: 2005/05/01 11:51:27 GMT

© BBC MMV