letter was originally written by James M. Kauffman, Ed.D., Professor
Emeritus at the Dept. of Curriculum, Instruction,and Special Education
University of Virginia.
Dear President Bush,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.I
have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose
and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.As you
said, "in the eyes of God, marriage is based between a man and a woman."
I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When
someone tries to defend their homosexual lifestyle,for example,I simply
remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an
abomination.... End of debate.
I do need some advice from you,however,regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves,both male and
female,provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations.A friend
of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans,but not Canadians.Can you
clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery,as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age,what do you think would be a fair
price for her? (allowing for inflation)?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is,how do
I tell?? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice,I know it creates a
"pleasing odor for the Lord" - Lev.1:9. The problem is my
neighbours.They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.Should I smite
5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.Am I morally obligated to
kill him myself,or should I ask the police to do it?? If the
latter,would it better to use a Christian officer on a Saturday,
or a Jewish officer on a Sunday?? What if the only officer
available is a 7th Day Adventist or a Muslim (i.e., Friday Sabbath)?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination as outlined in Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than
homosexuality.I don't agree.Can you settle this? (My friend really
likes shrimp).Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have
a defect in my sight.I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.Does
my vision have to be 20/20,or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed,including the hair
around their temples,even though this is expressly forbidden by
Lev.19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean,but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field,as does his wife by wearing garments
made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).He also
tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.Is it really necessary that we go to
all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.
24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private
family affair,like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
considerable expertise in such matters,so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
A Citizen Who Cares