UK: The [cricket] band played on, even as Grenfell Tower's under-estimated were burnt alive Print E-mail

A reminder: On Wednesday June 14, even as the Grenfell Tower inferno raged burning many residents alive, Britain's hosting and appearance at the Int. Cricket Champions Trophy took off as scheduled in Cardiff:

1st Semi-final: England v Pakistan at Cardiff - Jun 14, 2017
England 211 (49.5/50 ov); Pakistan 215/2 (37.1/50 ov)  Pakistan won by 8 wickets (with 77 balls remaining)

Join the dots: Were London bombed by foreign missiles on June 14 would a cricket match have proceeded? Fat chance! Shame on the priorities in today's world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Friday June 16 2017
 

Grenfell Tower: Lily Allen accuses the media of 'downplaying' death toll

Most publications have been reporting official death counts from the Met


By Christopher Hooton
 

Singer and activist Lily Allen has accused the media of dishonesty with regards to its coverage of the number dead in the Grenfell Tower fire.

"I have never in my entire life seen an event like this where the death count has been downplayed by the mainstream media," she said during a Channel 4 News interview with Jon Snow.
 
"Seventeen? I'm sorry but I am hearing from people the figure is much closer to 150 - and that many of those people are children."

On Twitter, she retweeted users saying: "Death toll of #grenfelltower being suppressed by UK MSM" and "when i was down there they said well into triple figures so is probably even more than 150.good on you for telling some truth" (sic).

Most outlets, including The Independent, report official death counts from the Metropolitan Police first and foremost, acknowledging if they are likely to rise but trying to steer clear of estimating the dead.

Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy has said that the death toll is expected to rise significantly, but the tower is currently still too dangerous for firefighters to recover many of the bodies.

“It may be - and I just don't know - it may be that ultimately some victims remain unidentified,” he said.

"I won't know that until we've gone through the full recovery from Grenfell Tower and we know exactly what we've got and I anticipate that is going to take a considerable period of time.

"Not just the immediate recovery of the bodies we have found but the full search of that whole building we could be talking weeks we could be talking months - it is a very long process.

"There is a risk that sadly we may not be able to identify everybody."

Six bodies have been recovered from outside the 24-storey tower and identified so far, while 11 bodies have been located inside but cannot yet be removed
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Friday June 16 2017

Grenfell Tower: Using fire-resistant cladding on Kensington block 'would have cost £5,000 extra'

Type of panels used on flats building reportedly banned in US on tall structures

By Jon Sharman
 
Smoke and flames rise from Grenfell Tower in west London (AP)

Installing fire-resistant cladding at Grenfell Tower would have cost just £5,000 extra, it has been claimed, after the spotlight fell on the building's facade as a factor in Wednesday's devastating fire.

The Kensington tower block was totally incinerated in the blaze and at least 17 people were killed. It was refurbished in 2016 at a cost of about £8.6m and new aluminium panels were added to the exterior.

A salesman for the US company Reynobond, which produces the panels, told The Times the type of material believed to have been used on Grenfell Tower was banned on tall buildings in the US “because of the fire and smoke spread”.

According to the paper, a flammable version with a plastic core was used at Grenfell Tower, in place of a fire-resistant one that cost £2 more per square metre.

Kensington and Chelsea council documents show the refurbishment, which also included new windows, was intended to provide better insulation and energy efficiency.

Rydon Construction, which refurbished the building, said that it was confident the construction was up to standards.

It said it was "shocked to hear of the devastating fire" but that all the work "met all required building control, fire regulation and health & safety standards".

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has demanded a public inquiry, ordered by the Government, produce an interim report so residents and politicians can get answers sooner about how the disaster happened.

And thousands of homes in tower blocks across the UK are undergoing urgent safety reviews following the fire.